Sunday, August 28, 2011

*EAST*

EAST is an altered art book that I've worked on for a couple of years, adding to it every now and then. This is one of the reasons I love creating altered art books - you don't have to "finish" them, and you can continue with them as long as you like.
This particular "book" is really a stationery folder that was given to me as a child. I've turned it inside out - the outside was originally the colorful red and yellow batik-printed Japanese paper. The inside was very old bark paper with natural texture and with pockets. It was called "Mingei Letter Set" and unfortunately, I do not have any of the original stationery left. The folder remained intact, thankfully.
The additions I have placed in this book are Asian postage stamps, coins, photographs taken in Japan and Korea, miscellaneous cut-outs and calligraphy, rubber stamp images, cloth "beads" and painted wooden beads, chopsticks, pages from Oriental books and maps, decorative papers, photographs of my own artwork, a tiny Oriental silk knot, a paper bill (money), printed papers with gold foil, and finally an Origami crane that I made as a teenager. Unlike my usual sepia-toned vintage altered art books, this one is colorful and playful.






























2 comments:

  1. Surprise! Guess who? I didn't fall off the face of the earth as you might have thought! :-) But I have followed a different path lately. My sister moved back to our area again and we started researching our family history. We both were into genealogy when she lived here years ago and drifted away from it, but now that she's back I've fallen headlong into the research.
    So much so that I plan on closing my Etsy shop. I loved it while I was doing it but I think it's time to move on.
    Your Asian book is just great! I love the color and like you mentioned, I tend to go sepia in most things I do. So this book is fun and full of eye catching elements.
    I'll check in from time to time to see what you're up to. I enjoy your work and want to see what you're doing!
    Take care ~ Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy!
    It's wonderful to hear from you!
    Thank you so much for your compliments on my altered art books ~ I really appreciate it!
    I sent you a email today, but it came back undelivered. Perhaps you have changed your email address? If you care to share your new one with me, would you send it to me at ARTiCREATE@aol.com ?
    Thanks!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete